Security is such a major issue these days, with all the spyware and malware lurking on the Internet; not to mention the nastiest viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, etc.
There are so many threats for our digital security. What can one do to protect themselves?
Well, there are a some things we can do as users:
- First and foremost, develop safe browsing practices. Which means, be mindful what websites you visit, what links you click on, what files you are downloading, and so on.
- Next, no matter what kind of computer you have, turn on Automatic Updates for your OS ( operating system),Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android, regardless of brand or device. Android devices can get free antivirus on their smartphones and tablets from the Android Store, now called Google Play Store. Popular ones are AVG and Lookout Mobile Security.
- Make sure you have antivirus software installed on your device and keep it up to date. Some free resources: AVG FREE , SuperAntySpyware, etc more can be found at Filehippo.com .
- Do not open attachments in emails that have been forwarded by more than 1 or 2 people, and even then, be wary; make sure the message comes from someone you know.
- Do not share your password with anyone, unless you know for a fact who they are.
- Speaking of passwords, try to make them as complicated as you can, so that the bad guys have a very hard time guessing them.
These are a few of the things that come to mind when talking about security on our devices.
Use common sense, stay updated, and don’t click YES on something you don’t know what it means. Google it first or ask someone who knows.